How to show the Cosmetic thread for a feature while creating Model ?
1) First We have to begin with the bare bolt using Extrude feature shown in Fig:1
2) Sketch a line where the thread ends in the bolt with Sketch --> Line and dimension that line as shown in Fig:2
3) In the Insert menu,Curve -->Split line option and select the cylindrical surface of the bolt.Then the cylincrical feature turns into two face segments ie. Surface Split shown in Fig:3
4) Right click on the thread surface side of the surface split, Change the Texture Appearance option.Select the thread texture and vary the spacing,angle to illustrate left or right hand threads,number of starts also.We can also rotate the thread texture to match with the circumference of bolt dia.
5) Then add the standard thread note to the threaded surface using Insert-->Annotation-->Note shown in Fig:5
Labels: Cosmetic thread, Feature, Solidworks, Solidworks Tips, Solidworks Tricks, Split line